On Tuesday, we elected a child rapist, mediocre businessman, sexist, racist pig to be our leader. We elected the man endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan. He has no experience in politics, his only experience is in business, where, he managed to lose money running a casino. The man’s only discernable features are a hatred of all non-white people.
I was aware of how racist the US is, I just didn’t expect white supremacy to be the only issue that mattered to 26.5% of the population. I want to be clear, furthering White Supremacist causes make you a White Supremacist and therefore, voting for Trump makes you racist.
These are what he has promised:
- Build a wall between the US and Mexico
- Deport all of the illegal immigrants
- Deport US citizen because they’re “anchor babies”
- Prevent Muslims from entering the country
- Bring back water boarding and introduce worse forms of torture
- Kill the civilian family members of terrorists
- Reverse Women and Trans rights
- Remove millions of people’s health insurance
- Jail his political opponent
- Reverse the legalization of Gay marriage
- Reverse Roe v Wade
- Restrict the freedom of the press (ironic since they handed the presidency to Trump)
- Restrict the freedom of assembly
- destroy the economy in order to induce riots
None of that sounds like making America great again. None of those things are things that should ever happen. This is not ok, we are not fine. These things can not be allowed to happen.
This is the result of a number of systemic failures. The GOP failed to prevent one of the fascist candidates from securing the nomination. The GOP failed in what should be a primary purpose, ensuring that our country doesn’t fall to fascism. The primary process for the Democrats resulted in a candidate that was not compelling enough to win.
Our final hope is the electoral college fulfilling their purpose and protecting us from a threat to our democracy. I think it is very unlikely to actually happen. While this is the explicit purpose of the electoral college, it has never been done before. It is also likely to cause extreme backlash from those who supported Trump. While this backlash is likely to be pretty damaging, a Trump presidency would be worse.
I could have done more. I’ve been too consumed with taking care of my family with our 5 month-old daughter. I haven’t been following along with the presidential race as much as I should. I, as well as much of the country, thought that the chances of Trump actually winning were negligible. We were very wrong.